While you or a loved one are a patient at an Oakwood hospital, we want to do our very best to ensure that your emotional and spiritual needs are cared for. We value all religious traditions and offer support and comfort in light of a person’s own faith experience.
A chaplain can provide spiritual care through empathetic listening, and compassion for persons in distress. Our Staff Chaplains provide
- Short-term pastoral counseling
- Grief support and guidance
- Help facilitate end of life decision making
- Offer crisis intervention/critical incident stress debriefing
- Assist in communication with caregivers
- Provide conflict resolution among patients and family members
- Offer emotional and spiritual support to health care staff
Volunteer Spiritual Support Service Visitors are trained to assist the Chaplains in providing services to patients. They represent a variety of faith traditions in the Downriver and Dearborn Communities, providing personal and family prayer, Communion, and spiritual literature and information to our patients.
Roman Catholic patients who wish to receive the Sacramental Anointing of the Sick or the Sacrament of Reconciliation are encouraged to contact Spiritual Support Services and we can arrange for a Catholic priest.
"A Heart for Children - Helping a Child You Love Cope with Grief" is a booklet available to help families deal with grief and with the sometimes overwhelming task of helping children come to terms with loss. Depending on their age, children deal with grief in different ways, some of which can have long term effects. In fact, parents or other family members may not know how to recognize signs of grief and coping in children, or may miss the signals as they deal with grief themselves. This guide will provide valuable information for anyone who is dealing with loss or who is helping a child cope with grief. Download the entire booklet now
- Oakwood Hospital & Medical Center |313.593.7200
- Oakwood Heritage Hospital | 313.295.6700
- Oakwood Southshore Medical Center | 734.671.3779
- Oakwood Annapolis Hospital | 734.467.4057
- Oakwood Common | 313.253.9600