General and specialized surgeons throughout the Oakwood contribute greatly to the success of the cancer programs
Most often, the surgeon, through surgical exploration and biopsies makes the diagnosis of cancer. Their expertise is essential as the first line of treatment. Many of the surgeons actively participate in the multidisciplinary discussions with the medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, radiologists and pathologists.
Throughout Oakwood there are specialized nursing units which provide care to the inpatients requiring post-operative care. These nursing units have specialized nurses and nursing assistants for the care of a particular surgery site, such as colon/rectum, breast, thoracic and more. The surgeons and nurses work closely to assure a speedy and complication free post-operative experience.
p>Surgical expertise in the area of cancer care provided at Oakwood includes the following and others:
- Breast cancer (including breast conservation and reconstruction)
- Gastrointestinal cancers (stomach, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, small intestines, colon, rectum, anus)
- Genitourinary cancers (bladder, kidney, prostate, testis)
- Gynecologic cancers (ovarian, uterine, cervical)
- Head and Neck cancers (larynx, throat, oral, nose, neck, sinus, eye)
- Neurologic cancers (brain, central nervous system)
- Skin cancers (melanoma)
- Thoracic cancers (esophagus, lung)