|We’re helping teens make healthy choices in
Oakwood Teen Health Centers provide a wide variety of services through school-based and school-linked programs:
The Oakwood Teen Health Centers are located in schools or conveniently located near schools on a major bus line. These locations make it easy for young people to access quality healthcare services without missing class or causing a parent to miss work. Healthcare services are available to youth ages 10-21; special education students receive services through age 26. Children
- General medical services
- Health education programs
- Mental health/counseling services
- Family planning services (Taylor location only)
of teen parents may also receive services at the Inkster location only.
Available services include:
Through a variety of innovative and award-winning programs, the Oakwood Teen Health Centers help young people make healthy choices.
- Primary healthcare
- School, sports and work physicals
- Diagnosis and treatment of routine illnesses and injuries
- Pap smears and pelvic exams
- Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections
- HIV testing and counseling
- Referrals to other services
- No abortions
The Oakwood Teen Health Centers offer a wide variety of mental health/counseling services designed to help teens and young adults face the many challenges in their lives – addiction, violence, grief, depression, abuse.
- Peer education programs related to nutrition and fitness, substance abuse, violence, sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy prevention
- Presentations by Teen Center staff and teen peer educators to school, community, religious, professional and parent groups on topics such as:
- Alcohol, tobacco and other drug prevention
- Nutrition, fitness and obesity prevention
- HIV/AIDS prevention and risk reduction
- Adolescent development and other health topics
- Violence prevention
- After-school and summer youth programs – giving teens healthy ways to spend their free time
- Health insurance outreach, education and application assistance
- Individual and family counseling
- Crisis intervention
- Anger management groups
- First-time and early juvenile offender diversion program
- Referrals to other services
Family planning services are provided at the Taylor Teen Health Center only – a non-school-based health center. Family planning services cannot be offered in school-based clinics. The family planning program offers:
- General health assessments
- Information on all contraceptive choices, including abstinence
- A full range of contraceptive methods available through the program or by referral
- Pregnancy testing and referrals for prenatal care
The Oakwood Teen Health Centers are making a difference in the lives of thousands of young people each year. Through a variety of school-based and school-linked programs, we’re working in partnership with teens, families, schools and communities to make a positive impact on the health of adolescents and young adults.
For nearly 20 years, we’ve served youth in western Wayne County and downriver with locations in Inkster, Taylor and Romulus. High-risk behaviors among teens in this area are common and access to teen-friendly healthcare is limited.
The need is great. But so is our resolve to help.
Whether we’re providing primary healthcare services and immunizations in school-based clinics or training peer education counselors to promote healthy choices, we’re reaching out to teens in a variety of ways – meeting them in school, in the community, on the street.
“ The Teen Health Center gives us much more than a place to get check ups….it’s a place where we can go and receive advice on life, learn lessons and many other things. The Teen Health Center is just what it says, a place where all teens can go to get great advice and great care.” --- A 16-year-old patient