|We’re helping teens make healthy choices in
Oakwood Teen Health Centers provide a wide variety of services through school-based and school-linked programs:
The Oakwood Teen Health Centers are located in schools or conveniently located near schools on a major bus line. These locations make it easy for young people to access quality healthcare services without missing class or causing a parent to miss work. Healthcare services are available to youth ages 10-21; special education students receive services through age 26. Children
- General medical services
- Health education programs
- Mental health/counseling services
- Family planning services (Taylor location only)
of teen parents may also receive services at the Inkster location only.
Available services include:
Through a variety of innovative and award-winning programs, the Oakwood Teen Health Centers help young people make healthy choices.
- Primary healthcare
- School, sports and work physicals
- Diagnosis and treatment of routine illnesses and injuries
- Pap smears and pelvic exams
- Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections
- HIV testing and counseling
- Referrals to other services
- No abortions
The Oakwood Teen Health Centers offer a wide variety of mental health/counseling services designed to help teens and young adults face the many challenges in their lives – addiction, violence, grief, depression, abuse.
- Peer education programs related to nutrition and fitness, substance abuse, violence, sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy prevention
- Presentations by Teen Center staff and teen peer educators to school, community, religious, professional and parent groups on topics such as:
- Alcohol, tobacco and other drug prevention
- Nutrition, fitness and obesity prevention
- HIV/AIDS prevention and risk reduction
- Adolescent development and other health topics
- Violence prevention
- After-school and summer youth programs – giving teens healthy ways to spend their free time
- Health insurance outreach, education and application assistance
- Individual and family counseling
- Crisis intervention
- Anger management groups
- First-time and early juvenile offender diversion program
- Referrals to other services
Family planning services are provided at the Taylor Teen Health Center only – a non-school-based health center. Family planning services cannot be offered in school-based clinics. The family planning program offers:
- General health assessments
- Information on all contraceptive choices, including abstinence
- A full range of contraceptive methods available through the program or by referral
- Pregnancy testing and referrals for prenatal care
The Oakwood Teen Health Centers are making a difference in the lives of thousands of young people each year. Through a variety of school-based and school-linked programs, we’re working in partnership with teens, families, schools and communities to make a positive impact on the health of adolescents and young adults.
For nearly 20 years, we’ve served youth in western Wayne County and downriver with locations in Taylor and Westland. High-risk behaviors among teens in this area are common and access to teen-friendly healthcare is limited.
The need is great. But so is our resolve to help.
Whether we’re providing primary healthcare services and immunizations in school-based clinics or training peer education counselors to promote healthy choices, we’re reaching out to teens in a variety of ways – meeting them in school, in the community, on the street.
“ The Teen Health Center gives us much more than a place to get check ups….it’s a place where we can go and receive advice on life, learn lessons and many other things. The Teen Health Center is just what it says, a place where all teens can go to get great advice and great care.” --- A 16-year-old patient