Volunteers at Oakwood are seriously committed to assisting in making hospital visits and patient stays comfortable and stress free. Our volunteer core is committed to excellence by meeting service area expectations and understanding the vital connection to the success of Oakwood. We strive for excellence in all facets of the organization and value the outstanding work of all of Oakwood's select volunteers.
Oakwood Healthcare System is a true leader in volunteerism and we are proud to maintain one of the largest healthcare volunteer programs in the State of Michigan. We provide support, assistance and a helping hand to our patients and their families thanks to the men, women and students who serve as Oakwood volunteers on a daily or monthly basis.
The Mission of Oakwood is to provide excellence in care, healing and health to the individuals and communities we serve, therefore, the process to become an Oakwood volunteer is very thorough in scope.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at Oakwood please read through all of our information carefully to make sure you are serious and committed to our program.
Search Volunteer Opportunities
Download our newsletter
Volunteer Application Process for 15-17 year olds
Adult Volunteers 18 and older
- Submission of a Volunteer Application Online
- 2 Volunteer Reference Forms
- Completion of a Criminal Background Check completed by Oakwood volunteer services staff
- Documentation of Proof of Immunizations for (or verification of having had) MMR, also known as: Rubeola (Measles), Rubella (German Measles), Mumps & Varicella (Chicken Pox) Applicable to those born during or after 1957. (If you do not have a copy of your immunizations, check with your family physician or the Department of Community Health)
- Providing patient companionship
- Spiritual Support
- Greeting and directing patients/visitors
- Interacting with patients/visitors/staff through our gift shops
- Delivering DVDs, CDs and personal players through our Guest Service Program
- Performing clerical duties
- Taking part in special events and promotions
- Assisting at health screenings, immunization clinics, health fairs and flu shot clinics
- Working in the Oakwood Gift Shops
Launched in 2002 through the coordinated efforts of Oakwood Healthcare System Volunteer Council members, the Volunteer Scholarship Fund is designed to assist select high school student volunteer in furthering their education. The Fund offers financial support for students who support Oakwood and its community through their efforts.